Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Another week in DC

I'm going to try to write at least once a week. I've been very busy between school and work (and playoff basketball), so I may not be writing more than that for at least the next month. On Friday we were finished with class pretty early in the day. We went to a place called Wise Miller's home of Wisey's Chicken Madness (a sandwich). It is apparently a big Georgetown hangout. The first time we went a few weeks ago, we went to the original Wise Miller's which is a real hole in the wall place. You can't even sit down. In fact, there are signs which explicitly state that you cannot eat inside the store. They want to get you in and then get you out the door. The first time I thought the sandwich was great. This weekend, we decided to try the more popularized version which is much newer and actually has seats. This one is sort of a health food place with salads's and smoothies. It wasn't nearly as good as the orginal.

Later that afternoon I went in search of used book stores. I hit the jackpot at the first one I tried. It's called Capital South Bookstore and it was great. It's an old house south of the Capitol building. Every nook and cranny is packed with books. The shelves are stacked three or four rows deep with books and some stacks are just free standing, all of which makes it very difficult to actually browse through the books. Everywhere throughout the store are little sarcastic notes, providing a commentary on everything in the bookstore. For example, one section is labelled "Politicians and their Political 'Science.'" An old water heater in the dimly lit basement sported the label "Totally Inoperable" as if the patrons care about using the water heater. The bathroom is the foreign language section. The owner of the bookstore reminds his customers to leave the door open after they use the bathroom so that others can get to the books. The best part is that the owner buys books as well as sells them. Not only are his books comparable to online bookstore prices, I can get most of my money back after I read the books. It's a pretty great place. I think I'll be going back soon.

The week before I tried "The Bone" at the recommendation of Aunt Celia. It was delicious as promised. I'll have to get a group of people and go back. On the wall they had a timer counting down the days, hours, minutes, and second to graduation. I was lucky enough to be there when the clock struck 22 hours. I was tempted to go back 22 hours later just to see if the clock would reset.

I spent my Memorial Day in Herndon, VA with my friend Micah. It was nice to stay in a real house and eat real food. My diet is designed completely around microwavable foods. Micah's brother-in-law served his mission in Italy, and one night while we were talking I watched him whip up an absolutely delicious chicken alfredo from scratch. I should have paid more attention to how he did it. It was a great weekend and I had a great time.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are keeping busy and learning some new things. I liked your description of the bookstore. Good thing you are an avid reader and also able to sell back and buy again when you need a book. Thanks for posting the pictures too. Helps us know you are alive and well!

    ReplyDelete