Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Hit by a car!

Now that I have your attention -- I'm fine. It happened on the way to work this morning. An old man was entering Washington Circle, which is a large and extremely busy roundabout, and he must have been paying more attention to the cars in the circle than the aspiring intern 2 feet in front of him. I sort of jumped in the air and didn't really fall or anything. I started to yell at him and then I saw it was an accident and I just kept walking. He looked pretty shocked and his wife was squawking (that was a hard word to spell) frantically out the window, asking if I was okay. I just waved and kept walking. The incident was at the entrance to the circle at the very top center of the picture below. It was my first run in with a car after even after a whole two years in crazy Sao Paulo. This one was totally his fault though. There's not much I could have done to avoid it. If I die like that it's just my time to go. Luckily there was a hospital which is visible in the lower left part of the picture.


Washington Circle, minutes from my house and seconds from a hospital!

4 comments:

  1. I know the exact spot. I would have taken you to the hospital, no worries. You coming on Sat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are OK. Watch for cars in the future, now that you know what's out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! I was hit by a car in DC too. If we are not related by blood, we must be related by skillful pedestrain manoeuvrability.

    ReplyDelete