Monday, June 22, 2009

A Tribute to Dikembe

I thought I would introduce some of you to Dikembe Mutombo, the oldest player in the NBA at the time of his retirement a few weeks ago. I will always remember his reaction after defeating the Seattle Supersonics in the opening round of the playoffs (the first time an eight seed had defeated a one seed). He fell backwards onto the court, gripped the ball tightly near his face, and screamed for joy. I was ten years old at the time, but I can still remember how passionate he was about that win. He has been well known for his humanitarian efforts in his native Africa. I found it interesting that the church is on board with one of his recent projects. He's been playing basketball as long as I've been watching it. It's sad to see one of the last players of my childhood gone for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment